I suggest you ...

Twitter has a 5000msg limit on DMs from Whitelisted Accounts

@Al3x from Twitter assures us there is no way to get around the 5000/day DM limit on the Twitter API.

What do you suggest we do to solve this problem? How would you best like to receive notifications from @Particls in the future? Would you be willing to pay for Twitter DMs? How much? What are the alternatives?

Discuss...

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris SaadAdminChris Saad (Admin, particls) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • omdesignomdesign commented  · 

whatever happened to RSS? I mean the 'live' liness of Twitter is great and for meme tracking it is very useful, however, IM clients have been maturing pretty well and opening a tab in one for a Twitstream makes sense to me. PLease don't lock yourself into Skype. XMPP offers a number of useful options for the rest of us. If you had an AIR app, you could offer something like Digg/Swarm which would do me a LOT more good than 'river of news' style of all the things I'm interested in.

• mangeemangee commented  · 

Rather than DM (or as well as DM) how about (realtime) email - in tweet sized chunks? The main use for DM I have is that it emails you, which can be used with push email services instead of SMS (or with Email->SMS gateway for countries with free inbound SMS but not supported by Twitter SMS).

Ref: http://twitter.com/jasonsalas/status/1243812479

• davidgjonesdavidgjones commented  · 

@Ashley I would prefer via XMPP - using PSI over Gtalk

• ManiacDManiacD commented  · 

@Ashley I'm interested in trying it out. I would actually prefer to get my updates via XMPP (using Gmail IM) and not via DM mainly as we have to pay SMS sent via DM using 3Jam I did my entire credit in about 40 mins (that will teach me to adding the keyword twitter). I did put a feature request in to be able to ignore a twitter user but haven't heard anything from them

• AshleyAdminAshley (Admin, particls) commented  · 

We have a prototype XMPP feed for Particls which needs further testing. Who is interested in trying this new service out?

• kseistrupkseistrup commented  · 

@dallasclark, I have twitterspy notify me at a separate IM account, and I keep one tab open for notifications, then have separate tabs for other accounts and conversations - in that way my usual chats don't get interrupted by tweets.

I, for one, would welcome Particls as an entirely IM based service. In that way Particls needn't limit itself to Twitter, but could emcompass other microblogging services as well (friendfeed and identi.ca comes to mind).

• dallasclarkdallasclark commented  · 

Would you be keen to put Particls v2 into an AIR application? You can keep the existing web-based version you've got, just make the AIR application point to the URL. Then simply put the @Particls notifications amongst the other notifications that come up in Particls v2.

• dallasclarkdallasclark commented  · 

DAMN ! I cannot believe that you cannot put in a request to increase the DM limit. The Particls service was a great idea that has now died. Please @Al3x @Twitter, can you make an exception?

I dislike the idea of an IM giving me these notifications, I use IM for chatting and getting Twitter to deliver messages through an IM feels wrong and dirty. I've tried the Skype method, didn't like it.

• Chris SaadAdminChris Saad (Admin, particls) commented  · 

You mean through a separate XMPP bot you would follow via Gtalk or something?

Interesting... maybe @particls should be entirely IM based if Twitter is unwilling to support such a service?

Skip twitter for DMs, when possible, deliver via XMPP instead.

Feedback and Knowledge Base